View Single Post
Old 08-16-2017, 10:21 AM   #1372
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I wasn't a fan of getting Elliot and I wasn't too crazy about the Flames getting Smith either but I do have a lot more faith in him. Elliot was someone who people thought could turn into a good goalie but Smith is a good goalie and people are wondering if he can keep it up. We already know what Smith is capable of and if he just plays the way he always has, it'll be good enough for the Flames. We don't need to "gamble" on a goalie coming to the Flames and improving, we just need Smith to come in and not be terribad.

I'm not really expecting anything groundbreaking from Smith but I think he can stay in the top third of the league. I think his play may drop a slight bit but the team in front of him will be a lot better so it kind of evens out.
agree with the bolded. I am also pretty negative on the goalie outlook given the history we've had, but we aren't expecting a goalie to come in and now be something he hasn't ever been.

Elliott came in with all kinds of question marks on whether he had the consistency and sustainability to be 'the guy'. He proved, to me at least, that he is exactly a goalie who, can play great for a stretch of time but not someone you can lean on to be consistent and there when you need him most.

With Smith, you just hope he can bring the game he has in past years. The question is only whether his game degrades due to age (though goalies seem to be able to play longer?) or if his recent injury issues continue to be a theme.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote