View Single Post
Old 05-13-2014, 02:38 PM   #330
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Kudos to the Oil Kings and a nice call on the series going 7 games (after seeing Portland dismantle Kelowna in 5 games, I didn't see that happening).
No one here gave them much chance but the series went pretty much as I expected, although I didn't expect the Cheaterhawks to get off to such a strong start - winning the first two games and then being up 2-0 in game 3 before the OKs took over.

The turning point was in game 3 when Bertilucci was taken down on a break-away (no penalty) then got up and scored anyway. From that point on they mostly shut down Portland's high-powered offence with their defence and depth. Reinhart and Jarry were stellar. I credit the Pelss factor. I think we would have won it last year also except Reinhart and Cheek missed the final due to injury. The factor that most people aren't mentioning is the OKs coaching, which is a huge strength. These kids are well prepared by Laxdall and Hamilton. Hamilton is the most likely to move on to bigger things as he's a rising star.

This was one of the very best series I've ever watched. I've been an OKs fan for a very long time and remember the old Oil Kings beating the Bobby Orr-led Oshawa Generals in 1966. I hope we can take the Mem Cup this year.

By the way, if anyone wants to check a year or two ago I said that Jarry (who was essentially an unknown) would turn out to be a much better prospect than Broissoit. I think Jarry will have an NHL career and could eventually be a starter.

Last edited by MoneyGuy; 05-13-2014 at 02:40 PM.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote