View Single Post
Old 08-01-2017, 04:39 PM   #361
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I think you need to step off the edge a bit when it comes to the new shows man. There's no point doing deep, detailed analysis before anything is even seen. Could it suck? Maybe. Could it be great? Same chance.

Remember when the initial teaser trailer came out for Beyond with the Beastie Boys song? And the uproar was "Look at this dumb action movie! This isn't Star Trek! What is that Beastie Boys song doing there!? Paramount/J J Abrams/Justin Lin are the worst!" Then the movie came out and it ended up being the best Star Trek movie in 20 years. And the Beastie Boys song was in the climax of the movie and it was awesome.

So, reserve judgment until the time comes for it to truly be judged.
I like writing these things, I'm not on the edge at all. Its one of the little things that I enjoy doing and I encourage people that don't like them not to read them.

The bottom line for me is that Star Trek has been in a creative down slide for a long time. It really started with First Contact and they've really struggled badly with the franchise.

First Contact, Generations, Insurrection, Nemesis were all what I would consider to be poor representations of the Trek Universe. Even the best of them which was first contact was crippled by the loss of what made Star Trek really strong which was the ensemble crew, instead they put Picard and Data out front and made the rest of the crew cardboard cutouts. On top of that the Borg Queen was just a terrible idea of a villain that made the Borg just far less terrifying.

Enterprise was a great idea gone wrong, the script writing was weak, the acting just wasn't there and they didn't do anything with the exception of a few arcs that really got you charged up.

The first JJ Trek was passable and gave a bit of hope. But the villain was just uninspiring and realistically the logic of the plot line was lacking.

Into Darkness was just terrible, they dug into the past and failed badly with it.

They came back a bit in terms of Beyond, But it the villain was just lazy.

Frankly what they're doing now is sticking the Star Trek label on films that shouldn't really be star trek films, or they're trying to re-invent the past and doing a poor job of it.

It used to be that Star Trek was great at inventing antagonists, Even beyond the original series that gave us Klingon's and Romulans and Generations that gave us the Borg and Q, and Deep space 9 that gave us immortal shape shifters with a genetic army. You had Khan, and Kruge, you had Chang. These were great villains and they made the hero's just look better.

Now they're just trying to reinvent what really shouldn't be re-invented.

Hey I have some of the same problems with Star Wars, I'm still not all that sold on the new trilogy, it had its good to great moments, but during TFA it just felt tired.

There's so much potential in Sci-Fi to make interesting stories with interesting villains and heros. There should almost be no limit in that sandbox. But instead they just rolling out the same thing over and over and over again.

To me, and I like I said, I loved Myer's work. Instead of lets just redo Khan. It should be what out there could be more dangerous, or more sympathetically evil then him.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote