View Single Post
Old 05-05-2014, 08:35 PM   #1
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The "I'm buying a Camera and looking for input" thread.

So I'm planning on doing some traveling for the next year or so and I feel I need a good camera to take with me. I was going to go DSLR but decided on a mirrorless as they're lightweight and easier to travel with.

I've also narrowed down my choices to a couple not withstanding other recommendations.

I should clairify that I am no professional photographer so I'm not look for ALL the bells and whistles but certainly looking for something better than a point and shoot pocket camera.

I've done a bunch of research and I find within my budget constraints ($500-$850) that two cameras really stick out.

The first one is the Sony A6000 ($799 with lens and before taxes). It's at the higher end of my budget but it does have the fastest auto-focus on the market and shoots @ 11fps. Which is handy. has an ISO range of 100-25600 for pictures and 100-12800 for movies. The image sensor is also bigger.

I've also read a lot of reviews and I've found that there is a resounding dislike for the stock lens that comes with it. (I'm buying the kit because I really cannot afford a better lens at this point) So that is a little concerning.

The other camera is the Samsung NX300. Shoots @ 9 fps , has the same ISO range as the A6000 but is 20.3 MP versus 24.3 MP for the A6000.

Plus side for this camera though is it has three different lens options to choose form when you make the purchase. Including a 2d/3d lense. Seems a bit gimmiky to me but meh, could be a cool option one day.

Both have Wifi, both can shoot RAW (not a major selling point as I'm quite new to upper end Cameras, but will eventually be a nice thing have).

Differences: The Samsung has an AMOLED Touchscreen. The Sony does not. Being a Layman, that may be a the deciding factor as the ease of use comes into play.

While the Sony uses NFC connectivity, which seems useful for using your phone as a remote.

The only thing I may have an issue with going forward is lens selection. From my understandng the Sony's have a wide variety of lenses to choose from while Samsung being relatively new to the market have limited choices.

Anyways, I made this thread seeking some input that may help in my decision. But I will say that the cheaper Samsung seems like a great starters camera while the Sony may be a better option long term.

Last edited by dammage79; 05-05-2014 at 09:38 PM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote