View Single Post
Old 05-24-2017, 10:36 PM   #10
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would not buy a business based on those reasons. I would buy a business if I had an idea of what kind of business I wanted, how it would work, and had done research into the market. It sounds like you are making your decision based on hating your current job, envying a friend's lifestyle, and the fact that it would be "cool" to own a bar.

Friends I know who have started small businesses that became successful worked 24/7 for the first several years and made practically nothing. Any money coming in went right back into the business. Eventually they achieved success, but it takes a lot to get there and many don't succeed. They all had also worked in the business (or something closely related) prior to starting their own. Those who did not achieve success usually were inexperienced in that field or didn't have a solid plan in place before they started.

I also agree with the comment that I doubt your friend is willing to sell to you as a favour. He's willing to sell to you because it's in his best interests. Maybe he needs the cash and you can get a great deal out of his desperation. Or maybe the business is going downhill and he wants to get rid of it.

Of course, there are some people who take a crazy leap and come out successful in the end, but it's likely a risky move.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote