View Single Post
Old 04-20-2017, 02:08 AM   #53
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

It would be a mistake to let Treliving go and I suspect he wouldn't be out of work long.
The Elliott acquisition was a great gamble at the time but one that failed despite all evidence pointing otherwise.

Really his only big fault so far has been over-valuing grit and such. After the Bollig, Bouma, Engelland, and Brouwer mistakes, you hope he's learned his lesson there finally - really he should have learned it prior to the Brouwer signing but that's in the past now, despite all warning signs against that acquisition. With today's cap environment you simply can't waste valuable dollars on guys whose on-ice performance doesn't warrant so. I get Engelland was maybe a cap floor thing, if you buy that, but the rest are inexcusable errors. Paul Byron and ~$3 million in cap space instead of Brouwer sure would have been nice.

His next big test is Michael Stone. Will Treliving buy into Stone's PDO-driven hot streak and make him the next anchor contract, or will he see him as the #6 defenceman he is and act accordingly? I don't mind having Stone back, but you can't get into a bidding war with another team over bottom roster guys.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."

Last edited by united; 04-20-2017 at 02:48 AM.