View Single Post
Old 03-18-2017, 12:50 PM   #306
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Wow, great thread and I have been fascinated with all the different responses. I was wondering if any of you, specifically in the finance and banking field may be able to offer some potential advice for me as I am in a little bit of a predicament at the moment.

I come from a self employed family where we were in the restaurants and residential real estate business but I was always potentially looking forward to a corporate style job.

I worked in banking for one of the big 5 banks for 6 years after graduating from school and enjoyed it a lot even though for me the pay wasn't great, this is coming out of the 2008 financial crisis mind you.

Long story short I made a few different moves but my situation got to the point where my direct managers and my role within the bank become an insufferable situation. If any of you have read the CBC report with the sales pressure from banks, that was the stuff I was dealing with daily. I have zero issue with sales as I was a top performer but I was in a situation where I was being compared more and more to employees who were clearly cheating the sales system.

It got the point where I finally quit in the fall of 2014 where the economy was still strong relatively strong. Fast forward two and a half years later I have been working with the family business and kind of laying low since I don't have much in the way of financial responsibilities.

I am looking to get another crack at the business but I feel kind of stuck as to where to start? I don't really have much in the way of corporate style connections given my family's immigrant restaurant background and a lot of friends working in energy.
Anybody have any ideas as to how I may be able to explain my absence from the industry for so long without looking incompetent? I am struggling to explain this situation without looking like a total idiot when I do start applying for some new positions.

Any advice is much appreciated as I really want give the business another kick at the can.
Thx
You went back to help out your family, keep it vague, now things are stable you are free to pursue your true calling. Its a bit of bolloxs but work is one of those areas where you do what you have to do.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote