View Single Post
Old 02-10-2017, 10:44 AM   #20
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Hockey Canada has the "Respect in Sport", which is mandatory I think, but I only seem to recall doing it once years ago.

It is interesting, my boy plays Lacrosse and there is a 0 tolerance for ref abuse. I have seen refs stop play and turn to the stands and point to a parent kicking them out. To be honest if was ####ing brilliant. He literally said to the parent that we will all stand here and watch you until you leave, nobody will play lacrosse while you are in this arena. My understanding is it has increased this coming season to include coaches at PeeWee and above. Any questions must go through your A's and C's, which I don't agree with.
I'm not up to date on hockey, but isn't that an online course that's not really tracked?

I think it needs to be done yearly.

with coaching when I first went for my certification I had to spend a day on ethical decision making for example and then a half day on safe contact and then another day getting certified in a position (LB, DB, OL whatever). I go at least once a year, but my work load is now a day because I only need to add a position as I work towards a Coordinators or head coach certification if I want that.

I personally think it wouldn't be a bad idea that every year there's a requirement to take a refresher based around ethical decisions and dealing with officials and parents for example.

I really don't think its a bad idea for parents to have to take a 1 hour course or discussion group or whatever every year when they register their kid. Now the question is if their kids play multiple sports what do you do? Maybe have a signed off letter from the organization so that you can not have to go to 8 courses.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote