View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012, 07:28 AM   #30
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
So the Boy just went out to play after getting home from school. When he came home I asked how his day was. He said it was good and asked if I could volunteer again. I asked who he played with this afternoon, he listed of 3-4 kids and one of those was the "troubled boy" in his class. I asked what he was like. My boy said be was nice, but that he got upset sometimes, i tried to say something useful, and my son cut me off and said "it's ok dad, everyone is different and I like him".
It sounds as though both the school and the teacher are doing some very valuable work. No doubt autistic children can be a challenge to work with in the classroom and those kinds of attitudes in peers are signs of a strong system of teacher, admin, parents and support working together. Not easy to do and a real positive sign.

Yesterday I was talking with my wife about all the greed, superficiality and selfishness we see living in Shanghai, but working in education I at least feel that whatever corrupting influences there may be my job is still basically about helping people every day. Although Shanghai, and lots of the world, seems to value people more for what they can earn for themselves rather than value they bring to their community I still feel that teaching is a worthwhile way to spend a life.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote