Thread: The A.I. Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2016, 06:34 PM   #32
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Except that we wouldn't really know if we had created an artificial intelligence that was real or just a very good simulation. Anyway, it would literally be impossible to create a being in such a way. As I said before, it is all conjecture. We don't even know the slightest about our brains process information in such a way that creates consciousness. I am not closed to the possibility of such a problem being solved, but at this point, it is highly unlikely.

There are also significant philosophical differences between human free will and machine will.

Even if we could create an omnipotent artificial general intelligence that could theoretically exist on a plan of knowledge that would be god-like from our perspective, it still wouldn't solve the fundamental human questions of loneliness, wondering, and wandering that mark us from other species.

Furthermore, if such a machine existed, it would almost certainly not be able to communicate with us, and thus, would have absolutely no implications - beyond the hellish tyranny that would no doubt exist - for Christians as it would say nothing about the personal logos represented through the Christian God.

I am also surprised that you, as a very fervent liberal - don't have any deep philosophical concerns regarding the development of AI. It would certainly spell the end of any modern conceptions of liberty.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote