View Single Post
Old 11-24-2016, 10:26 AM   #151
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
What I don't understand is why vinyl has made the comeback as it has. I thought it was dead and buried when I was able to get what I did for my collection. And those prices in the 25-30 dollar range are insane!
I thought so, too. I don't find vinyl (new or used) to be a good bargain, quite frankly. I buy new/used CDs now. I used to have a ton of them, too, but sold them all before I even considered saving them to a hard drive.

There is an interesting book out now titled: Revenge of the Analog, by David Sax. His premise is that, while digital technologies have made our lives more convenient, analog technologies of old enrich our lives and make them more substantial. Ironically, it is perhaps the digital technology that helped the analog revival. That is, eBay, Amazon and Discogs have made life easier to find used vinyl.

Personally, I am old enough to have lived through analog, whether it was records, cameras or books. I have tried going back to vinyl, but I'm just not into it. I went back to using 35mm cameras because I always found that I had to step back and analyze a scene and try and get the best composition because I only had a finite number of shots. But, the film is expensive, and unless you process it at home, it gets expensive to properly process the film, and then there is the whole scanning process and that is time-consuming. Books, well I find it more convenient to use an e-reader.

I don't know, perhaps it is the younger generation that views the analog revival as something that interests them. Reality rules and physical stuff is important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I'd like to think I have a good ear for music but i'm beginning to think I must be missing something in the sound. Maybe you or some else can educate me on the subject
Many will say that they prefer the vinyl sound and that's ok because it's subjective, but that doesn't mean the sound is technically better than digital. Technically, a CD has a greater dynamic range than an LP. The cutting engineers have to suppress dynamic range on an LP, otherwise grooves will touch or the playing time has to be reduced.

The big deficiency in an LP is its bass reproduction. Another vinyl deficiency is that the track next to the label sounds worse than the first track on the side. This is because the stylus covers fewer inches of grooves per second. Essentially, LPs can only reproduce a fraction of what is heard in the studio.

CDs have their own issues with the "loudness wars" but that isn't the format's fault.
The Following User Says Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post: