View Single Post
Old 11-23-2016, 05:50 PM   #144
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Some great info here, I'm actually the person who took advantage of FanIn80's Audio Techinca LP120 sale. Love the player, much better than the entry level one I had before.

I'm also trying to assemble more of a hifi setup (I only have it hooked up to small computer speakers right now).

Is it better to look for a receiver that has phono inputs or does it matter? As far as I understand the audio technica has a pre-amp built in so I can hook it up to any inputs, but is a phono input better for sound quality?
I also own an LP120. I think you'd have to be pretty hardcore to purposely get a separate phono-stage over the internal built-in pre amp. At that level, many purists prefer to actually rip out the USB board in the LP120 because they claim it causes additional impedance along the signal path even if they switch it to use an external phono stage. It's a popular mod on Youtube for this turntable.

Right now you have the option by toggling the switch so you could use an external amp with it's own phono-stage if you like or if you want to use the spin-down function for DJing (the classic 80s hip hop sound where you turn off the turntable while it's still spinning so the music slowly spins down). This doesn't work with the internal pre amp on.

The biggest thing for me is tactile external tone controls. I like the big volume, bass, treble, balance, high/low pass filters, and even the loudness button or loudness contour (Yamaha Receivers). It helps me tune for the type of music I'm listening to.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post: