View Single Post
Old 08-11-2015, 04:57 PM   #5
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing I heard, if allowed, bring sticky tabs. Toss sticky tabs on places that need a look over. Makes it slightly easier on the guys to figure out what needs dealing with too I hear (find and go to tab, then fix). You can consider grabbing a sticky note pad and cut it if no sticky tabs. Don't choose green as it on occasion resembles certain tape, choose hot pink or blue or something.

Also, don't be shy and walk around like you're stepping on egg shells. Open and close doors/drawers with a little extra huzzah. Stomp around the moment you hear a funny squeak. Not hard enough to break anything of course, but enough to figure out problems or "smoothness issues". Run hands on all sorts of surfaces to find rough patches and weird holes. You can always remove a tab and say you're willing to forgo repairs if they can offer you something? (Something could be as simple as not showing up so no annoyances for you, but if they offer something of value to you, why not?)

Also, keep an eye out for things installed upside down. Sounds silly, but seriously keep your eyes out. The second biggest complaint is stuff like random chunks of drywall and sawdust in weird places like drawers, cupboards and even inside vents and stuff. Usually, you can just wipe or vacuum it away. I've even seen drywall bits inside those glass domes that cover the lights and friends have wandered past it for months.

Biggest problem I hear with new builds is dust. If you're moving in same day, maybe consider hiring a maid service to just wipe everything down and vacuum carpets after your walk through and are in process of going back for your stuff?

Congrats on the new place.