View Single Post
Old 03-07-2016, 02:07 PM   #53
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think your hunting vs not hunting is not sustainable from an if everyone did it stand point. Factory farming allows enough meet to be produced. So regardless of source if you want to avoid factory farms the only solution is less meat.

I wouldn't buy "free range" grocery store sustainably produced meats if looking for an alternative as if you are trying to get rid of factory farms from your diet the organic free range movement is almost as bad. It is still a mass produced product.

So I think you really want local, where you can go inspect the farm see your cow, name it, take a picture with it, then eat it. If you google alberta sustainable agriculture there are plenty of options for buying. And a 1/4 cow last time I bought ne was around $6 per pound finished which might only be 20% more than grocery store prices. The other benefit is it makes you a better cook as you get all cuts of meat so you get to brasie and stew interesting cuts like cheek and toungue, smoke briskets and so on.
Bought direct from the farm a few times now...love it for some many reasons:

1) The quality is better.

2) The price, at $6.00/pound, once you factor in the high end steak cuts you get, is cheaper.

3) No middle men. The concept of middle men offends me. I'd much rather provide money directly to the people doing the work.

4) Animal welfare. Not pretending I'm a saint, but grass fed cows are treated much better than feed lot versions.

5) Health. Who knows what's in the Safeway steaks.

Basically, I don't know why everyone doesn't do this. If you're in a stable enough situation that you can afford to spend $800 on meat, then get a few friends together and go in on this.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote