View Single Post
Old 03-07-2016, 01:31 PM   #48
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Yeah it's the horrible lives thing. I can't enjoy bacon/pork, chicken or beef anymore. Red meat isn't much of a concern, as noted above, we eat wild meat which is largely venison, elk, moose, etc... What's the cost of ethical chicken and/or pork vs not. I'm likely fine with the increase. Do you go directly to the farm or are there places that sell it in town (farmers market, I guess? Which ones?). Don't really eat much pork as is, but chicken is a pretty big staple. I would assume the eggs from such a place would be fine as well?
In some cases we've actually been to the farms to pick them up, or they'll deliver them directly to your house. You can actually just email or call them and ask how to buy their meat, in some cases directly and other cases the farmer's market. Also, it's a pretty tight community and they all know each other, so they'll be able to point you in the right direction for buying other types of meat. But yeah the farmers markets are the best way to find the farmers and just chat with them. If you for example buy some beef from MacKillop and ask them who they recommend for Chicken/Pork for the season, they'll know exactly. Just google Calgary Farmers Markets.

Here are some examples. Chicken:

http://lettnerschickens.weebly.com/how-to-order.html

Beef:

http://www.mackillopbeef.com/

Not sure on pork, but we bought some from Toad's Acres last summer.

In terms of cost, what you're doing is eliminating the middle man completely, and also usually buying in reasonable bulk (like a quarter cow). So we've found that actually it doesn't end up being that much more expensive, just more inconvenient and you have to have a deep freeze and plan more (ie. defrosting meat etc).

I've found that I enjoy the food so much more this way. It has made a huge difference for me.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post: