View Single Post
Old 03-07-2016, 01:09 PM   #43
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Ok, I'm bumping this thread.

It's been on my mind lately, and my younger brother brought it up yesterday so we were discussing it. We're thinking of at least trying a vegetarian route minus anything taken from the wild. This is a morality-based thing, not a health thing. I never thought I'd be one of these people. We are carnivorous, have been eating meat for thousands of years, and I love the taste of pretty much any type of meat. But we've gotten to the point where we just can't ignore the way these things are being farmed. This is why I make a caveat for wild meat. My family has always had hunters, my Dad does it every year. Ethically, I have no problem taking an animal from the wild and using every piece we can. I don't want this to turn into a debate on the merits of vegetarianism, the ethics behind it, or how less manly I am for thinking about this.

What I want is ideas. We were brainstorming what we could eat and were having a tough time coming up with tasty ideas, mostly in the hot food domain. So my questions are:

Good breakfasts? - Love myself a hot breakfast with some eggs and sausage. The sausage can be wild, just wondering what veggies do for hot breaky meals.

Packed lunches? - What can I bring to work outside of veggies and dip that can keep me going throughout the day? Trying to avoid breads and carbs too.

Dinners? - I like curries, so doing a veggie curry/pasta sauce will likely become a staple. What can I add to it that will give it a protein boost? Kind of want to avoid tofu too, for taste reasons.

Any help would be great. Thanks!
We buy our meat from ethical sources that we know the animals are being treated well. Is your moral issue that they're being treated badly and living horrible lives (ie. farmed and mass produced), or is it that they're being raised for the sole purpose of being eaten?

As long as the animals have good lives and are free to roam and are fed well etc., that's what we care about. We buy our meat directly from the farmers around Calgary.

Just wanted to share that thought. If you are opposed to raising animals for slaughter period, then obviously that doesn't work for you.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote