View Single Post
Old 06-02-2010, 02:08 AM   #11
Scorponok
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Arcades are really a dying breed, and it almost brings a tear to my eye. Home consoles really killed the arcade star, IMO. That, and games charging a damn dollar per credit. Also, it seemed to jump in price overnight, from the usual 25 cents to a dollar. Show me any industry that can see such a percentage increase like that and people still buy or use the same amount.

The only arcade left in Calgary besides the ones mentioned is the one in the Greyhound bus station on 9th Ave SW, and is the last true arcade room that I know of. The place itself seems like it's stuck in the late 70's/early 80's, and I think it is only there because they don't know what else to do with the space. There are several pinball machines there, as well as a multi-game machine that plays a lot of early 80's games (Ms. Pac Man, Bubble Bobble) some dedicated 80's arcade machines, as well as a few inferior 90's games like Operation Wolf and that X-Men game.

I'd go there more often if the place wasn't so depressing. People who take the bus there seem to also be stuck in the 80's, and one day I should really go take some pictures and post them on RateMyMullet.com. Besides that, there are motherly looking middle aged ladies still wearing neon ski jackets and the occasional army guy who's uniform looks like it hasn't been replaced since the Reagan days.

Overall, it really seems like a place that time forgot, and would make a great setting if you wanted to make a movie set back 30 years ago.
Scorponok is offline   Reply With Quote