View Single Post
Old 06-25-2017, 11:11 AM   #29
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post

Not necessarily because none of them could handle it and not because we're definitely in a win-now mode but because Brad himself (Not the organization as a whole) is in "goalie win now" mode. He's struck out a couple times and simply won't put himself one Mike Smith injury away from tossing away another season to goaltending.
I do think that having someone older and perhaps fragile, like Smith, as your number 1 forces you to look for a bit more of an experience backup as insurance, which is why I think chances are good that Johnson will be back. But I just don't think it's completely unreasonable to think that one of the two young goalies will be given the opportunity. The Flames brought in a guy like Smith, instead of a younger goalie, presumably because they assume that one of these young will be ready to take over in a couple of years. At some point you do have to get them used to the NHL game. Do you do it this year, when your team is still learning, or next, when expectations for success will be even higher?

The Flames goalie situation is definitely still a pretty big question mark. Good thing they have one of the league's best defence groups at least.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote