View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 05:05 PM   #6
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
I like how they're removing 3G and adding easy tethering instead. Makes sense if you're business traveling and staying in hotels.
This seems like a huge mistake for the following reasons:
1. Surfing on the Blackpad in a 3G area will drain both my pad battery and my phone battery
2. I now have two devices to recharge - am I going to have to haul around two chargers, or will I daisy chain them to one charger? Either way, I need at least two cables now
3. Can I tether and make a call at the same time? Not all networks will support this, in the US at least
4. What happens when I move out of tether range. Let's say I have IM or Skype on my Blackpad, tethered to my phone, and I move to another room or floor in an office with my phone, just out of range - will I drop messages on my IM client as a result?

Palm tried this with the Folio, and it wasn't tenable. Similarly, you don't see MiFi's setting the world on fire either.

Plan sharing between devices is the way to go, I think. The cost of the 3G radio, at purchase time, is only like $130 on an iPad, which amortized over the life of the device is almost negligible.