View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #91
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I party agree that it would be nice to provide some opportunities, and I do think that will come with time. The unique thing about soccer is that there are so many professional clubs all over the world - opportunity is pretty much everywhere. The problem that Canadian soccer has always had is that our players often aren't of the calibre to seize those opportunities - at home or abroad. Or, cynically, they hold a passport because one of their parents was born elsewhere.

I just don't think that three clubs in a pro league is the ticket for success for the national team and its players. If a Canadian player is good enough, he'll be able to crack the lineup of dozens of clubs all around the world. It's getting the player to that point where I believe that the focus should be. The MLS clubs are starting to plant the seeds. The great Canadian soccer harvest won't be coming for a few years yet. Worst analogy ever.

But I will concede this: having a young Canadian like Teibert doing really well does capture the imagination of the fans. I'd like to think that young Whitecaps fans are inspired by a good Canadian player like that, and it will also help transfer interest from club soccer to the national team when they've got a local guy to cheer on.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote