View Single Post
Old 03-28-2024, 07:52 PM   #11517
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
To this point, are unionized companies or at the very least companies with good worker protections using the TFW program?
Yes.

Quote:
I had always assumed (and this really does point to a personal bias) that the vast majority of companies who use the program are doing so exactly for the reason Azure is talking about? If it is only the shady/exploitive companies that are using the program than the scenario you made doesn't really exist.
There are literally multibillion dollar companies that use TFWs, whether one would consider them shady is open to discussion. I can assure you that the scenario I used as an example absolutely exists, frankly it’s also probably far more prevalent than most people would think. That isn’t to suggest that there are not smaller companies using TFWs as well.

Quote:
I agree with the rest of your point, and would love to be enlightened otherwise, but I just see that program being used exactly as described; to bring in low skill workers willing to work for less than the average Canadian and thus suppressing wages. I agree there are a lot of other issues also suppressing wages, but I believe that without the TFW program, wages would definitely have to rise in order to attract the workers required.
It’s a symptom of a bigger problem and the bigger problem is having a much greater overall impact on wage growth/stagnation. I’ve personally dealt with TFWs whose employers have stolen their wages and abused them in other ways, I’ve also seen this with non TFWs so while one could argue that there’s a higher likelihood of that happening to a TFW(and I’d agree with that) it’s not because of TFWs that these things happen and getting rid of them won’t fix it.

If given the choice between getting rid of the TFW program to allow the free market to inflate wages and increasing the minimum wage while expanding workers rights regardless of whether you keep or can the TFW program I’d bet on the latter having a much more impactful effect. It’d also help protect the jobs Azure claims to worried about from being “stolen” from Canadians.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post: