View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 07:02 PM   #473
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fan, Ph.D. View Post
The incidence of people using guns for self-defense is wildly over-reported. When these events do happen, they are prominent nightly news events. In our locale about a month ago, a grandma made a robber flee by coming downstairs with her rifle while he was rummaging in the living room. That's the only example that I can recall during my 7 year stay in this state. So unless there is a news conspiracy to not report all the other ones (I've lived in two very gun friendly midwestern states), they just don't happen nearly as often as gun advocates tout.

I don't really care if people have guns, but this whole "self-defense" angle is bollocks.

No way. They are under-reported.

In many cases there is no motivation or incentive for the potential victim to report a gun defense. For example, if someone simply brandished their pistol if they saw a guy trying to pry into their car ...or any minor incident where the bad guy flees and no damage is done.

Also, common sense tells me the media will most likely report a murder/shooting at about a 10:1 ratio to a gun defense story for the pure sensationalism of it all. I mean really? Isn't it kind of obvious the press in America is generally anti-gun?
mikey_the_redneck is offline   Reply With Quote