View Single Post
Old 07-28-2014, 06:37 AM   #36
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
King of Queens was not a spin-off of Everybody Loves Raymond. Kevin James had appeared on Raymond a few times as one of Ray's sportscaster friends, and that led to CBS offering him his own show, but it was a different character.

Later, he appeared on Raymond as his KoQ character in a CBS crossover event, but that was after KoQ had been on the air for a few years.
I've heard KoQ listed as a spinoff countless times before and I never really understood it.

I always put it in the spinoff category but with as asterisk. But I would agree it isn't one in the traditional sense.

Simpsons is a bit different. Although is it really? They took the shots from the Tracy Ullman show and turned them into full length. Is that really that different than taking a secondary character(s) with a scene or two an episode and giving them their own show? George Jefferson was in, what, a scene every other episode?

To me the defining spinoff is kind of like defining quantity of tattoos someone has, at the end of the day it's kind of arbitrary.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote