View Single Post
Old 03-05-2022, 11:02 PM   #2
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

I posted this in the other thread

Overall really good. I feel it was simultaneously the most comic accurate and grounded Batman movie. You can tell the creators are big fans of BTAS and the Telltale games.

I thought the Year 2 world was gripping, and I could watch Batman fighting against the mob all day. The art direction and use of shadows was really stunning. I felt the opening 15 minutes use of tension and fear were masterful. This movie has a lot more in common with Zodiac or Se7en than anything.

I really enjoyed Robert Pattinson’s take on Bruce Wayne. Bruce being an isolated, nearly psychotic, loner is very in line with where Batman would be at this stage of his life. I felt that his arc was well written and emotionally hit the right beats. This was an origin story for Batman in a non-traditional sense, as he evolves from being an agent of “vengeance” to one of “hope”.

Paul Dano had too little screen time, but what was there was mesmerising. The interrogation scene was a masterclass of acting.

Colin Farrell’s turn as Penguin was brilliant. He was hilarious and stole most scenes he was in.

The rest of the cast was on their A game. John Turturro and Zoe Kravitz were great. Jeffery Wright was good but I always feel he’s overacting and I can’t take him seriously.

There were some negatives. The movie was way too long. They should have cut this down by 30 or so minutes because 3 hours was too much.

Also I felt some of the movie was a Dark Knight remix in spots. Specifically the villain intending to get caught to further his plan and the interrogation scene. It took a bit away from how unique the rest of the film was.

Overall a solid 8.5/10