View Single Post
Old 04-27-2017, 10:34 AM   #418
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
Did you read all four books in the Hyperion Cantos (Hyperion, Fall of Hyperion, Endymion and Rise of Endymion)? I think a lot of people just read the first two, and they're great, but I liked the Endymion books even more.
Just the first one. I plan to read the sequels at some point.

Quote:
I also highly recommend his other sci-fi series, Illium and Olympos.
I bounced off Illium. The concept is right in my wheelhouse (I'm a classical Greece and Trojan War geek), but for whatever reason it didn't engage me. But I enjoy Simmons enough as a writer that I'll probably take another crack at it.

Edit: I've also read Drood, which may actually be my favourite Simmons. Can't believe I forgot that.

Quote:
I recently recommended these to a friend and he highly recommended the Dune series for me... I'm still considering reading Dune, but talking about Illium and Olympos with him now has me rereading those now instead.
I read Dune four or five times when I was younger. It's a classic for a reason. The sequels fall off in quality (quite steeply after Children of Dune), but the original is everything you'd want in a space opera. Herbert's other work has fallen into obscurity, but back in the day I really enjoyed the Dosadi Experiment, as well as the Jesus Incident (which inspired the movie Avatar) and its sequel the Lazarus Effect.

Quote:
In a similar vein to The Terror, The Abominable is a historical fiction, this time set around the early attempts to climb Mount Everest. Similar to The Terror, it's very well researched, and while the main characters are fictional, a lot of the people they interact with are real historical people. It does have a couple sections that kind of drag on as he describes in great detail mountain climbing gear and techniques of the 1920s, but despite that I highly recommend it.
I'll give it a try.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 04-27-2017 at 11:41 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote