View Single Post
Old 12-17-2007, 10:58 AM   #15
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Haha, guess you're too cool for cartoony characters.

Or maybe you're too busy playing the first level of Halo 3 and calling it the best game ever made right?

Hold on, I have to go watch the opening credits of Star Wars and tell everyone what a boring movie it is because all it is is words on a screen...
Sigh - I knew the "N" fanbois would take my comments this way and get all haughty. I've never disagreed with the gameplay comments in OOTC's review, although I could never give that much love about what still sounds like electrosynth music - but that's just my preference. Agreed - it's nice to have something different than a RTS or 3D shooter and props to Nintendo for doing that.

I applaud the revolutionary gameplay that the Wii provides, but as good the graphics are in SMG, I just can't rave about it as I know there's more out available out there on other systems. Tiger 2008 for Wii is a great example - awesome to play on the Wii (they finally fixed the backswing - yay!) but I look at the crap graphics compared to my X360 version and I wonder about the lost opportunity to make a truly awesome system.

Bottom line - I just can't "get into" the atmosphere Nintendo creates, and that includes the DS that I own (and am trying to sell). Anime characters with big googly eyes because the graphic capabilities suck. Cheezy translated scrolling words as there's no capability for voice over. I'm 35 yrs old and still trying to stomp on mushrooms and rescue some fairytale Princess. Would you laugh at a 35 year old man playing with Pokemon? I do - but that's just me.

Custom Robo Arena for the DS is a great example of this. I bought this thinking "hey, I like Mech games" this could be good. Instead, you play the role of some elementary school kid on a playground, and have the same cartoony graphics that most Nintendo game have. I feel like I'm on a Leapster.

I'll play SMG a bit more as I've got the damn thing, and like you say, should play it a bit more to give it a chance. But will it keep my interest when the next bring shiny object comes out for X360? I doubt it. (For the record, I though Bioshock or H3 wasn't as amazing as others thought)

And in general, given your tagline - "Waffles are awesome - Just like Nintendo" I'm not quite I'd expect you to say much else. Not saying your review of SMG was off or anything, but it's kind of like getting an Apple fanboi to really trash the platform and abandon it.

I don't expect to change your mind, but I think it's a good counterpoint to express for the casual or non Nintendo gamer that might be considering buying Super Mario Galaxy.

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 12-17-2007 at 11:07 AM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote