View Single Post
Old 12-17-2007, 08:26 AM   #14
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
I don't think Galaxy is as good as Mario 64 and here's why:

The gameplay is way too linear. There really is a certain path that you must follow on each mission and because of which, it's quite easy to reach the end of the level. In Mario 64 they gave you the mission title and you had to figure out what to do. Exploring and trying things was a crucial component in Mario 64 that was lost in Galaxy. I find the accomplishments less rewarding and more sterile because of it. Granted I've only collected 79 stars so maybe the harder stars with that exploration are still coming up. Also, the levels themselves were better in Mario 64. They had a more calculated design whereas it seems like Galaxy was focused on graphical representations first instead of gameplay.

I like Galaxy it just isn't as good as everyone says it is in my opinion.
A fair opinion, but remember that the game is meant to be linear.

Essentially the game is as close to a 3D version of the side-scrolling Marios as you're going to get. The gameplay is straight-forward, but the platforming itself is much improved on the other 3D Marios.

At 79 stars you probably haven't done the purple coin levels yet. Some of those are definitely have the Mario 64 feeling. You really have to search every nook and cranny of the level to get them all.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote