View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:
Default Head to Head Comparison: Iginla vs. Sakic

Edit: For those wondering, the "inspiration" for this came from another thread, where people were comparing the two players.

I didn't have a whole lot to do this afternoon, so I put this together. People often compare one player to another, but it's a difficult thing to do while taking in the entire picture. There are many things that contribute to a player's success over the length of their careers, and I would argue that teammates are a huge part of that. It's next to impossible to win a championship single-handedly, and it's extremely difficult to put up massive stat totals when playing with lower-tiered talent. For one thing, they're not as good at putting the puck on your stick or in the net, and for another, it's much easier to shut a star player down when they're the only player that even needs to be shut down.

At any rate, whether this proves anything or not is up to each individual. All I did was compile the stats. So, here's a head-to-head breakdown of stats, championships and awards for Iginla vs. Sakic at each level they've played: WHL, NHL and International. As an added bonus, I also complied some stats for their teammates over the years (more on that below).

Player Comparison
  • Stats
    • WHL
      • Iginla: GP: 183 G: 102 A: 134 P: 236
      • Sakic: GP: 139 G: 138 A: 155 P: 293
    • NHL
      • Iginla: GP: 1232 G: 530 A: 576 P: 1106
      • Sakic: GP: 1378 G: 625 A: 1016 P: 1641
    • International
      • Iginla: GP: 42 G: 19 A: 15 P: 34
      • Sakic: GP: 56 G: 25 A: 20 P: 44
  • Championships
    • WHL
      • Iginla: WHL x 2, CHL x 2
      • Sakic: 0
    • NHL
      • Iginla: WC x 1
      • Sakic: WC x 2, NHL x 2
    • International
      • Iginla: WJC Gold x 1, CC Gold x 1, WC Gold x 1, OLY Gold x 2
      • Sakic: WJC Gold x 1, CC Gold x 1, WC Gold x 1, OLY Gold x 1
  • Awards
    • WHL
      • Iginla: WHL MVP x 1
      • Sakic: WHL MVP x 2, CHL MVP x 1
    • NHL
      • Iginla: Most Goals x 2, Most Points x 1, Peer MVP x 1
      • Sakic: Peer MVP x 1, League MVP x 1, Playoff MVP x 1
    • International
      • Iginla: WJC MVP x 1
      • Sakic: OLY MVP x 1

Now, to really put things in perspective, I went and added up the stats for each of their top five teammates during each season of their careers. For example, in 2007-08, the top five Avs (in order) were Stastny, Brunette, Hejduk, Wolski and Sakic. Since I'm looking for Sakic's top five teammates from that season, Sakic gets dropped from that list and the next highest moves up, which was Ryan Smyth. The point of this exercise is to compare depth. It's impossible to compare lines, because lines are never constant. Taking both Iginla's and Sakic's top five teammates each season, though, is easy and it's much more reflective of the amount of talent each of these two players had to work with throughout their careers.

Teammate Comparison
  • Best Season
    • Iginla: 126 Goals, 205 Assists, 331 Points
    • Sakic: 157 Goals, 262 Assists, 419 Points
  • Worst Season
    • Iginla: 69 Goals, 118 Assists, 187 Points
    • Sakic: 82 Goals, 131 Assists, 214 Points
  • Totals
    • Iginla: 1427 Goals, 2315 Assists, 3742 Points
    • Sakic: 2311 Goals, 3567 Assists, 5878 Points
  • Averages
    • Iginla: 89 Goals, 145 Assists, 234 Points
    • Sakic: 116 Goals, 178 Assists, 294 Points

Last edited by FanIn80; 05-17-2013 at 05:16 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post: