View Single Post
Old 04-17-2017, 11:26 AM   #863
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Has anyone used a non-Nintendo power source to charge or play the Switch? I'm thinking ahead to summer travels, and the Switch will likely be coming with us. I'd like to keep the wall wart and dock at home.

The AC adapter that comes with the Switch is 15v/2.6A/39w. From what I have read, much of that power is used for the higher resolution when playing docked and powering the dock's USB ports.

My handy little 4-port USB charger (Amazon link) delivers 2.4A per port, but at 5 volts instead of 15, and works great for phones, tablets, and other USB devices. I have little doubt that this will charge my Switch, although it seems that it may not provide enough juice to charge and play at the same time. That's fine - my sessions are never going to exceed a charge.

Are there any precautions, considerations, or recommendations about using my 5 volt charger? Is it safe for the battery and device? Aside from a slower charging rate, are there any downsides? I don't have a USB-C cable yet to test as I have no other USB-C devices.
When looking for a USB-C cable, make sure you get a decent one. A Google engineer has been testing many of what's on Amazon, and in once case, a cable fried his laptop.

Otherwise, you should be fine. USB, by specification, is actually rated at 5V, regardless of what the brick itself might theoretically do (hooray for standards!). It's the amperage that will impact charging speed, and it seems your brick is close enough.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post: