View Single Post
Old 03-22-2017, 12:26 PM   #1222
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I have a similar Vizio sound bar. I can definitely say, I am confused how someone could put a sub woofer under a couch. The one in your link is nice and flat though. Mine is too tall do do that. Could it be muffled? Maybe.

What I ended up doing was this.

I have a coffee table in front of my sofas. The sub woofer goes there. The wires from the sub to the speakers have to go from the subwoofer to under/behind the sofas. A small floor rug helps with this (more concerned with wires damaged than tripping or aesthetics). I was contemplating buying speaker stands, removing the base and screwing it directly into the wall or the sofa at the corners, but my wife nix'd that idea without hesitation. So, the speakers sit on the corners of my sofa.

Would the bass be muffled? Possibly. I'd do some testing on the sound to find the best location for the sub. Maybe finding a square of tile to place on top of the carpet can get the sound to disburse the best?

On a different note:

My Vizio speakers have a weird issue where sometimes the sound fades out from the speaker. I think it's sending the sound from L/R or vice versa, but if you're sitting on the side and can't hear the other side, it just sounds like the sound is cutting out. Anyone know what I can do about that?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are the ones I have. I have had the speakers for quite a while now and I purchased them from someone used for a hell of a deal, so hopefully it's something I can tweak on my own.
Low frequency sounds, in theory, are non directional and are not as easily muffled, which is why your teenage sons hip hop bass vibrates the whole house even though you cant hear the vocals.
In practise though you would still not want the sub woofer compressed by anything, it would need to be 'free standing' if you will, so a couch on top would need to have enough headroom to clear the top off the speaker, it would also feel fairly weird sitting on the couch I would guess.

Most subwoofers don't have perfect crossovers either and so some high frequency sound bleeds into the sub and makes it 'locational', I would still want it placed by the front speakers myself.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post: