View Single Post
Old 08-19-2017, 10:58 AM   #261
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

What AO and some other's don't realize is that 8 years sound like a long time, but in terms of hockey teams its not that long.

And as much as people think that McDavid can do it on his own he can't.

I would expect that as great as McDavid is, at some point during his 8 years with the team there will be a major rebuild in Edmonton.

They don't have good prospect depth at all. Their top end prospects aren't all that special, they don't have big stars coming from the farm system, and right now they don't have much that's going to be able to be that cheap talent that allows Edmonton to have nearly 21 million in two players.

Right now even if they manage to get some bargain contracts in the next two yeas with their free agents, and I mean guys like Nurse and Benning and Caggiula for example, if they can't move RNH for zero money return they'll end up about 5 million dollars over the cap.

The 6 million dollar players that they have to move aren't going to be moved in hockey trades, and nobody is going to take on the full contracts for RNH and Lucic. Its more then likely that they might have to move dollar assets that teams want like Larsson for example.

If they manage to get below the cap next year by basically gutting from strength, they then have some absolute killer contracts coming up. If JP has any kind of success next year he'll at least double his payday. If Talbot has even close to his success next year, he's going from 4 million bucks to 8.

Structurally this is a very badly built hockey team that pissed away high draft picks for years. They enjoyed a season where everything went entirely too right for them and they still got their teeth punched in against the Ducks.

No significant injuries
A goalie that played out of his mind and disguised a bad blueline with little offense
Career years all around
A easy schedule gifted by the NHL to save the Oilers that was heavy on teams coming into Edmonton's new building on the second of back to back games.

I just hope that the Oiler fans can take the crushing that could be coming down the pipe next year after walking around bragging about cups that they're going to win.

Time flies for badly constructed hockey teams and all of a sudden you're seeing tearful press conferences as your uber star jets off to Boston, or Pittsburgh or LA for a few draft picks and prospects.

I made a mistake people, I started feeling sympathy for Oiler fans after 10 years of ridiculously bad hockey. But all the arrogance and boasting coming out of their fan base makes me eagerly anticipate the crash followed by the announcement.

"The Oilers have fired Chia today and I'd like to introduce our new GM Kevin Lowe, also T-Mac has been canned, Craig MacTavish will step behind the bench as our new head coach"

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 08-19-2017 at 11:01 AM.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: