View Single Post
Old 07-27-2017, 02:31 AM   #73
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

hey guys

i thought i'd post a little update about what has been going on over the last while.

first off, i don't think i ever said what's up with my dad - so i'll give you the coles notes version....
about 3 years ago my dad had bladder cancer, then penile cancer, then a little more bladder cancer. after a bunch of treatments he was doing quite well. in january of this year he felt 'off' so he finally went to the doc. the two biggest concerns the docs found were that he had a large mass growing on his aorta and he had masses in his liver. they didn't want to touch the mass on his aorta in case it ruptured (which would take out his aorta), so they just monitored it (with ct scans). they thought it could be an aneurysm or possibly a growth that was the result of his bladder cancer treatments from a few years ago. the masses in his lever ended up being the same cancer that was in his bladder. i don't know much about liver cancer, but i was told that if a new cancer starts in the liver the docs can to something, if a cancer moves into the liver from somewhere else in the body it's a death sentence - my dad has the latter. the doc figured he would have at most 7-9 months (and it could be a lot sooner if the growth on his aorta burst). he could do chemo, but it would maybe only get him an extra few months tops (again - if his aorta didn't pop) and he'd feel like crap. he opted to just leave it (i would have chosen the same).

so that was back at the end of january. my dad had a couple ct scans in feb/march on his aorta and the growth was not increasing in size - so that was awesome news. it could still rupture, but it was less likely.

here we are at the end of july and i am sad to say that my mom called today to say that after today's visit with the doc that my dad likely only has 3 weeks tops. he will likely be going to hospice at some point next week. it's been really tough watching him get weaker and weaker over the past 6 months. to see my dad drop something like 50lbs and lose his strength to the point that i had to go to my folks place a while back at 3am to help him back in bed becuz he had fallen and my mom isn't strong enough to lift him really sucks. (just to clarify... the lack of strength my dad has sucks, not the fact that i had to go to their place in the middle of the night)

don't get me wrong - i am soooooo grateful for the past 6 months but it's been tough. we've done tons of visits, lots of feasts (not meals - but feasts!) and just doing everything i can to help my folks out.

when we found out his diagnosis i never expected to wish him a happy birthday (in february), have him wish my mom, my daughter and myself a happy birthday (in march), wish each other a happy fathers day (june) and just last week he was able to wish my wife and i a happy anniversary on friday and then on saturday wish our little guy a happy second birthday. i'm still hoping that he will be here to give my mom a kiss on their 52nd wedding anniversary on september 4th. i'm going to be going out tomorrow to get him an anniversary card and i'm hoping he'll be able write my mom a little note in the card (it's tough for him to write since the medications he's on really mess with his coordination and thought process). i'll hold onto it and have the card and nice bouquet of flowers for my mom on september 4th if my dad is not here to give them to her himself.

i do want to take a second to say thank you to this awesome community we have on calgarypuck - you guys are the best - you really are. so many comments earlier in this thread and also many private messages - i sincerely thank you. it means a lot, it really does.

i think i'll sign off now (heck... this post only took and hour and a half to write! jeeze!) and share a few pics...

this was from january - a day or two after we found out my dad's diagnosis
IMG_0949 by bc-chris, on Flickr

i took this back in march and got it framed and gave it to my dad for father's day (there might have been a few teary eyes when he opened the present and saw the pic). this is also the final slide in the slideshow that will play at his funeral
59 by bc-chris, on Flickr

jordan giving my dad a little stuffed cat for father's day
IMG_0294 by bc-chris, on Flickr

jordan getting a hug during my parents visit on matthew's birthday last weekend
IMG_0856 by bc-chris, on Flickr

matthew and jordan with grandma and grandpa last weekend
IMG_0891 by bc-chris, on Flickr
#22, Art Vandelay, automaton 3, Bagor, BeltlineFan, bigtmac19, billybob123, bluejays, Boblobla, Calgary4LIfe, calgarybornnraised, cammy13, cam_wmh, Charcot, Cheese, Codes, Cowboy89, CroFlames, cupofjoe, D as in David, Deelow, devo22, Dion, Displaced Flames fan, DoubleF, DownInFlames, FLAMESRULE, Fleury’sOTGoalCelebration, Fuzz, GreatWhiteEbola, habernac, HarryH93, Hockeyguy15, I-Hate-Hulse, IliketoPuck, indes, jayswin, Jbo, Johnny Makarov, jwslam, KevanGuy, KootenayFlamesFan, KTrain, longsuffering, M*A*S*H 4077, malcolmk14, Mango, manwiches, Max Cow Disease, metallicat, MolsonInBothHands, MoneyGuy, Morning Wood, normtwofinger, psyang, Puppet Guy, redflamesfan08, redforever, Regulator75, Robbob, Rubicant, Slacker, Snuffleupagus, SportsJunky, squiggs96, stazzy33, Stillman16, Stochansky, Suzles, The Yen Man, transplant99, tvp2003, wookster, Wormius, wwkayaker, zamler, zarrell