View Single Post
Old 08-13-2017, 10:43 AM   #290
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
So you're in favour of getting rid of all trace of Robert E Lee? Do you support the renaming of Washington and Lee University, the bulldozing of the ancestral Lee house you can visit at the Arlington cemetery? Where are you going to stop?

Also I really don't see how you can apply your logic of applying the morality of the times to Lee and not to the founding fathers, they all had the power to stamp out the civil war before it could fester, they wrote the phrase " all men are created equal " and did basically nothing to apply that to all men.
Why don't we ask Robert E Lee what he thinks about commemorations of the confederate ideals following the civil war....

Quote:
Lexington, VA., August 5, 1869.

Dear Sir--Absence from Lexington has prevented my receiving until to-day your letter of the 26th ult., inclosing an invitation from the Gettysburg Battle-field Memorial Association, to attend a meeting of the officers engaged in that battle at Gettysburg, for the purpose of marking upon the ground by enduring memorials of granite the positions and movements of the armies on the field. My engagements will not permit me to be present. I believe if there, I could not add anything material to the information existing on the subject. I think it wiser, moreover, not to keep open the sores of war but to follow the examples of those nations who endeavored to obliterate the marks of civil strife, to commit to oblivion the feelings engendered.

Very respectfully,
Your obedient servant,
R. E. Lee.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post: