View Single Post
Old 08-13-2017, 10:38 AM   #288
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
I'm sure that Benedict Arnold guy was a splendid chap deserving of praise and honor too. A traitor is a traitor regardless and that should not be honored. Robert E. Lee was a magnificent general and strategist who did an amazing job doing what he did. What he fought for was entirely contemptible and deserving of scorn. It is just the same thing with Rommel in German during WWII. He too was awesome at what he did, but whom he did it for made it and thereby him an abomination, regardless of any other criteria can be used to describe him as a man.

A man can be brilliant, but if what his brilliance is being used for is contemptible, then it negates the brilliance of the man. Brilliance should only be lauded if it brings forth positive developments for people and society as a whole. Not in the attempt to further the abomination that was slavery.

Those that support the statue, and those that support what the statue represents deserve scorn and rebuking from modern society. Not, oh you have a difference of opinion, so I should respect our differences because I don't want to sound rude. This slow tolerance is how this plague gets a foothold and slow acceptance from a wider portion of the populace as a whole and how things devolve into a nastier situation.
So you're in favour of getting rid of all trace of Robert E Lee? Do you support the renaming of Washington and Lee University, the bulldozing of the ancestral Lee house you can visit at the Arlington cemetery? Where are you going to stop?

Also I really don't see how you can apply your logic of applying the morality of the times to Lee and not to the founding fathers, they all had the power to stamp out the civil war before it could fester, they wrote the phrase " all men are created equal " and did basically nothing to apply that to all men.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post: