View Single Post
Old 06-06-2017, 08:31 PM   #445
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingyul View Post
Any easy-ish overnighters?
I've been to Point in Kananaski and it's a pretty nice campsite too. Would be a nice one to just go out to camp.

Anything recommended in Waterton?
Forks in Kanaskis is a flat 8k and is a nice campground with firewood and a river flowing by. If you stay their 2 nights you can do a packless hike up to 3 isle lake which has a cool steep section through a crack in the head wall with giant stairs to make it easier on day 2. Then you hike out on day three or do it all in two days as their is a campground at lake about 10.5k.

Elk lake (I think) in Kanaskis is 1.7k from the road.

Glacier Lake in Banff is easy and I think Hector lake as well

Twin Falls in Yoho is a dead flat 10k out and back or can be made into the iceline loop camping at Twin falls and Kinowick? Making a 22-30k 3 day loop with about 700 total elevation.

Lake Minniwanka has a trail and easy hiking but the campgrounds are poorly maintained. Also I'm not sure they reopened yet since a bear went through untended food in the LM20 camp site.

Of those Iceline is a little more difficult but has fantastic views compared to the other hikes on this list. Forks is one of my favourite family backpacks becasue it has stocked wood and nice tables and benches.

For Waterton the backpacking isn't that outstanding relative to the dayhiking. Until you have done Crypt Lake, Linholm ridge, Carthew Alderson (My second favourite day hike behind the alpine circuit in Lake Ohara) and Akamina Ridge it's not worth going into the back country there.

Last edited by GGG; 06-06-2017 at 08:34 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote