View Single Post
Old 02-11-2016, 05:04 PM   #1160
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Love the theater's guys! For the issue of seeing all those plugs on the wall below the screens, there are some good solutions to hide those, a small box cabinet you can build under the screen, also allows you to hide any current or future electronics, cables you might need out of sight.

That was my goal to clean up the view before I moved to Iceland and didn't get to complete my end goal.

These rooms are so much joy, so glad to see more people getting in to it!
We're likely going to go with a couple TV bench type deals from Ikea for the front of the room. They would serve three purposes: hide the cables, provide some storage, and raise the front towers up to be closer to screen height. I like the idea of the towers being a bit higher provided it doesn't create a bunch of nasty vibrations. I was thinking we could do a unit on each side of the sub, and Ikea stuff would probably fit the budget nicely considering we'd need two of them. It would also serve to visually anchor the screen in the room a bit and hopefully cut off some or most of the ghost image you can see slightly below the screen on the wall in bright scenes. It's not really bothersome, but it would be nice to get rid of it.

I am really happy with how we decided to mount the screen. It's somewhere around 14" off the back wall hanging from the bulkhead. With the centre channel behind the AT screen all the voices and stuff come directly from the middle of the image. It's really terrific.

As for controlling everything, I'm currently leaning towards just getting an extender kit like this Sewell from Amazon. I've used a kit like this from Monoprice which was fairly cheap and worked pretty well and my parent's house, but that particular one is out of stock for the next couple of months.

I ran a lot of cat5e in the basement and right up at the front left of the room I put in a custom wall plate using some keystone jacks that has the subwoofer cable, a cat5e data cable, and a phone jack on it. I've heard that, with these repeater kits, you can fairly easily cut the wires on the receiver/repeaters that come with the unit and splice it with some cat5e to get really long runs. I had a vague plan for many months to repurpose that particular phone jack for sending the IR signal to the equipment.

As for a remote, we got a Harmony 650 a couple months back on sale for a really good price. The Harmony with the RF hub seems like a pretty good solution too, though. I'll have to think about that one.

I'm personally reluctant to go with a touch screen remote or something that encourages using a tablet or phone for a remote. I just really prefer the tactile feedback of buttons. Does the Harmony app work well?
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aegypticus For This Useful Post: