Thread: school me in 4k
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2017, 02:57 PM   #22
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have been doing 4k for a few years now and honestly don't feel it is anything to get worked up about especially for home consumption. The signals are compressed to #### to start with. A high quality 4K stream runs in the neighborhood of 1200mbps so by the time you get down to your cable stream of 50 to 100 you can imagine what has been done to that file.

Size of screen and distance to it is absolutely a big deal, for 65" monitors we do not go beyond 6 feet, no point as CHL posted you cannot distinguish the resolution difference anyways from farther out. I also find the display technology makes a big difference. I am extremely underwhelmed by LCD, even at 4K it looks like crap. A 1080P OLED looks better than 4K LCD. Plus, if you get a poor TV that doesn't scale well the image will look even worse, I find it cartoonish, unnatural. If you can, bring a source that you like in 1080 and get it displayed on the UHD monitor you are looking to buy. Also try live sports, I hate the way hockey and football can look on some scaled TVs, again depends on the quality of the conversion.

Personally I think it is a year or two to early to be investing in 4K. You will get the same amount of enjoyment out of 90% of what you do with it and save $500-$1000. Or invest in better quality components.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote