Thread: Raspberry Pi
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2016, 02:05 PM   #57
ericschand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Are there any good learning resources for this stuff? Perhaps for people that are several levels beneath a total noob?
Your best bet is to dive in. Many times the question is, "I would like to learn Linux, how do I begin?" The answer is always the same. Setup a system and dive in. There is no one specific starting point.

Best thing is to type "raspberry pi 2 getting started" into google.com and read the first page of links. See if you can get all that going, understand what they are doing and why. Multiple sites will give a feel for it.

From there, choose a project (like a HTPC) and search that out, see if you can get it working. In fact, do Kodi on Raspbian instead of OpenELEC. It'll let you absorb more info about the Pi and Linux.

It will never work "right" the first time around. Don't worry about that. Don't worry about asking for help. Heck, I've been doing Unix/Linux for...well, a LONG time (so get out of my datacentre! Young hooligans and their lvmthis and lvmthat...) and it still took me numerous tries. You will find other ways, perhaps better ways, of doing things. Or better settings than the ones suggested, then you go back, delete it all and do it again. And again.

Find more projects and do it all over again.

Eventually after a while doing that, you no longer are a total noob, just another bearded, sandaled, t-shirt with cheeto crumbs wearing geek. Welcome to the club.

ers

Last edited by ericschand; 03-11-2016 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Accidently forgot a ltter
ericschand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ericschand For This Useful Post: