View Single Post
Old 03-03-2016, 02:58 PM   #19
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
Can someone explain to a rural simpleton like me why anyone would want to live on the 35th floor of a building? That just doesn't come off as safe. What if there's a fire? Or you just want to get outside quickly for whatever reason? To me it would be like living in a sky cage.

I'm sure lots of people do and its nice place, but its hard for me to get my head around.
The amount of money put into many different systems to protect against fire in these types of buildings is very, very high, trust me. Building codes are very strict when it comes to a building like this. There are literally millions of dollars worth of equipment in such a building that's main or sole purpose is to keep you safe (or even beyond that level, to the point where you are not even inconvieniced) in the event of any fire, even the near worse possible scenario.

Yes there are still fires inside suites, but in a big concrete building, when was the last time you heard of a major fire involving multiple suites for a building in North America? It's pretty much unheard of.

People living in modern towers like this are FAR FAR safer from fire than people living in single family, or wood frame structures.

1. Nothing in the structure is made of materials that burn.
2. In the case of a localized fire, there are sprinklers to put it out, and firewalls, and fire stopping etc to keep it a local fire for far longer then it would take the FD to put it out.
3. If somehow that fire was more than localized, there are systems that keep smoke out of exit paths and stairwells, that keep exit paths well lit, etc.