Old 09-09-2015, 10:00 AM   #57
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Two episodes in. Definitely digging it.

Couple of things that I like:

Casting of the main character is really good. I really like this actor so far.

I like how the parts of the story that involve actual hacking and computers are believable instead of the usual handling of "hacking" by the entertainment industry which is completely brain dead. Clearly they have some advisers on the show to make the dialogue and plot believable from a hacking perspective. That's refreshing.

Really like the handling of drug use in this show. I can't really put my finger on it but they don't trivialize, romanticize or criticize drug use in the way most TV shows do. It seems generally real and handled maturely but is still a key component of the plot that drives the story. Deft touch.

What I don't like is the device of the Evil Corp. For all the realism the show has on hacking it's pretty naive and ignorant view of finance. But I'm giving that a pass because it appears that you kind of need it for the story to have weight and drama. But no institution or corporation like that actually exists. And the show opens with the most tired of tired tropes that the world is being controlled by a secretive cabal of global elites. Yawn.
In the show's defence, it's hard to tell how much of Evil Corp is real and how much is meant to be Eliot's fantasy.

But yeah, if the company is actually meant to control all debt, food, etc... as a plot device, it's a pretty tired cliché. To accomplish mr. Robot's goal in reality, you'd have to take out hundreds of thousands of companies.

However, the company could just as easily be a company like MasterCard that has become the focus of Eliot's pamachine Everytime he sees an interact machine, he assumes Evil Corp is in control.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote