View Single Post
Old 09-01-2015, 03:36 PM   #44
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
The basic commands appear real. The dramatized GUIs and dramatic dashboard displays are fake (yellow line map going to a compromised server). Prying the chips off your motherboard and microwaving them is extra fake (drilling into your hard drive is real). A lot of the web pages and monitor screens have fake gibberish filler text if you can read it fast enough (especially the website about plant control/HVAC stuff).

Those details bug me but that's just me. If you are going to put something on screen, why not put some effort into it?

Almost every hack so far (but I am only in episode 2) has been a password guess based on social engineering but I'm a little tired of the every password is a pet, birthday, favorite artist, etc. trope of movies/television. In reality, it's much more likely those are your secret questions on a password reset form which would them be exploited first. Those are the weakest link for anyone unless you have two-step authentication.
Have you ever actually supported users in an IT environment? That's exactly how 90% of them make their passwords. And Elliott is actually still using a brute force program with keywords to focus on, so it's far more realistic than most other shows

I don't care if the text on screen is 100% accurate, I just care that he's actually typing real commands into a terminal and not diving into some 3D matrix land looking for a literal back door
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote