View Single Post
Old 03-04-2014, 05:54 PM   #427
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Yes, this is a terrible deal. This is a terrible deal that Gillis forced himself into. The end result is that he parlayed his franchise goaltender into spare parts. You can call it a "rebuilding deal" all you like - and if you are a Canucks fan, I suspect you might have to just to choke this one down. But even Gillis was talking about "retooling" in his interviews today. Vancouver is not looking at rebuilding. This was all disaster management by a disaster in management.
So wait.

First you're agreeing with me that it's a bad deal for the Canucks and a good deal for the Panthers. Which it obviously is, given the Panthers get a top 10 goalie in the NHL signed for 4.5M AAV when such goalies are worth 6 at least, and the Canucks get a 3C and MAYBE a guy who someday plays net for them and very probably isn't as good as Luongo even if he does. Okay.

Now, I agree, if they're still "going for it", this deal is stupid. They are less likely to win a playoff round this year or next year as a result of this trade. But IMO, they're not going to make the playoffs anyway at this point. I actually thought they might because their schedule was stupid easy for the 2nd half, but they even managed to f*** that up somehow, so it looks like no dice. They're also looking to trade Ryan Kesler, arguably their best player (definitely their best this season) for picks and prospects. Yet you don't think they're looking at rebuilding? I don't see how you can come to that conclusion, whatever their GM wants to say publicly. Their actions suggest that's exactly what they're doing. So on this I just disagree with you.

However, the comment I objected to was that a 7th round pick four years ago - does this guy even have a contract going forward? - is "the only prospect in the deal" while Markstrom was valueless and would amount to nothing. Say what you want about Markstrom, he sucked in the Panthers uniform, maybe he ends up being a bust, and he's sure as hell not the blue chip he was a year ago. He's a high risk prospect, but he's still a legitimate prospect. Meanwhile, if anyone here is a "nothing", it's Steven Anthony. That is why your comment was ridiculous, and I don't just disagree, I balk.

I mean basically in two years Gillis has completely screwed up the Canucks' goaltending situation and received hilariously little in return. Like I say, I think this is the start of the rebuild, and given what he's gotten in return for those assets, Horvat and Markstrom, it's baffling how incompetently he's handled it. To date, there's every reason to think that Flames fans will be able to point and laugh at the Canucks franchise as they stumble awkwardly through a series of bad decisions. But come on, have some sense of objectivity, or you're not even a hockey fan anymore. Schadenfreude is more fun when the subject matter is true.

Last edited by 19Yzerman19; 03-04-2014 at 05:57 PM.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote