View Single Post
Old 03-17-2017, 03:22 PM   #28
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Too many posts to quote so a general response.

Not every method of education that isn't the current status quo for University has to be independent online learning. But you could make an argument that given the current technology in a lot of workforces, there would be quite a bit of overlap in terms of learning to communicate effectively via email, skype etc.

Not learning group work, independent living, networking. Again, not every alternate education method relies solely on independent online study. And if it were online school, then there are benefits to learning how to do these things in an increasingly digital age.

I don't think University is doing a very good job at teaching most kids many of the things that traditional education proponents are mentioning in this thread as the very reasons they support traditional learning environments.

And as GGG said, it is funny that not a single person, that I've seen, has even pointed to the education itself as a defense of current university education methods. They are are peripheral benefits, many of which would still be present if the teaching methods changed and many of which are somewhat antiquated given our increasingly digital world.

The university that a person attends and their networking probably is linked far more to their social status than their learning ability, so even those arguments don't hold a lot of weight in my view.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 03-17-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote