Thread: [Game Takes] Stars 5 Flames 1
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013, 02:47 AM   #2
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Speaking of Baertschi, would be nice to hear why exactly the young player was benched. The exec/coaches are making a lot of good decisions of late so I’m going to assume they see something more than I’ve seen, or feel the need to adjust an attitude, because I just haven’t seen benchable play from Baertschi. His game is far from perfect but the effort seemed to be there. …
I'm at much of a lose too as he seems to be playing in all three zones and he's using his body to make checks. Maybe it's his positioning and effort without the puck which from my TV is hard to judge or maybe it's just part of his education?

Here's a thought from Martin St. Louis on his experience in Calgary which may be applicable to Baertschi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_St._Louis

Quote:
An offensive minded player throughout his amateur and minor professional career, St. Louis was forced into a checking-line role by the Calgary Flames. He credits the experience for rounding out his game:[41] "I played a true third-line role, killing penalties and playing against the other team's top lines. For me, it was like a five-month crash course on developing my defensive game. My whole life, I had been an offensive player, and suddenly I was in the role of trying to be smart without the puck. I think those fifty-six games helped me develop into a complete player."[2]
Breen got 12 minutes of ice time which is good to see for getting him comfortable with the league.

Last edited by Vulcan; 10-25-2013 at 03:01 AM.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote