View Single Post
Old 01-22-2017, 06:24 PM   #18
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I think at this point there are troubling indications that his offense may not fully transfer to the NHL level.

Considering he was drafted primarily for his ability to generate offense, it is somewhat troubling that so far he hasn't generated much for himself.

Monahan may end up scoring more goals than last season, which would be a year over year progression. Bennett may end up scoring less goals and points than last year, which would be a significant setback, centre or not. A not uncommon development for a player, but definitely not a positive sign.
It's hard to get a read on his rookie (15/16) season. 8 of his 18 goals came in a 5 game span. That leaves an underwhelming 10 goals in his other 72 games.

My concern about sending him to the AHL is that if he doesn't put up big numbers, his confidence could really take a hit. My suggestion is to bite the bullet and put him on the wing with Backlund and Frolik. Assuming Tkachuk continues Tkachuk-ing and Gaudreau and Monahan eventually get their game back, Bennett becomes the key piece to the rebuild IMO. We need to handle his development carefully -- lucky for him none of Shinkaruk, Poirier or Klimchuk appear to be knocking on the door or else he could really start feeling the pressure of having other prospects trying to take his spot in the top 9.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post: