View Single Post
Old 06-28-2017, 08:49 PM   #1
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:
Question Help Connecting to a Third-Party VPN

Hey guys,

A bit of an obscure question but hopefully someone can suggest something.

I have been connecting to a client VPN and periodically they make updates that require a user's machine to have it's Anti-Virus up to date before allowing them to connect to the VPN (this has been magnified recently with WannaCry and other ransomware and malware cases).

Up until a few days ago I was able to connect to their VPN but now I see this error message:

I've repeatedly manually hit the Update Definitions button and it has the latest and greatest and the Windows Defender message is confusing because with AV it will turn off Real-Time Protection because you have a third-party AV software installed.

Here's what I've tried:

Uninstalling and re-installing the AV (along with updating the definitions and running a full scan with the AV)
Deleting all referencing the the client VPN from the temporary folders %appdata% (local and roaming)
Uninstalling the client VPN to force it re-install fresh after the fact
The client installs a host checker file which authenticates the AV and computer definitions which is when this error pops up which is why I deleted all lingering instances of this issue

I have Windows 10 64-Bit, Symantec Endpoint AV.

Any thoughts?
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote