View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 11:15 AM   #1
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:
Default Font Size Question

Greetings. I'm hoping some of the more skilled designers in the crowd can help me out with this one. I'm not sure where on the spectrum of dumb questions this is, so I figure I'll just spit it out and deal with the ridicule if it's deserved. I'd like to be more of a font guru but I've unfortunately never sat down to really learn the basics. I managed to get a question from a superior at work and I'm rather stumped at how to answer it.

He thinks the fonts are too small on our webpage, so he asked me what they are. A quick tour through css land confirmed for me that the fonts are 11-12 point depending on what area of the page they are in. I managed to confirm this by a very unscientific test in photoshop as well.

After informing him of this, he writes back with a word document example saying "take a look here though - it's obvious the fonts are 8-9 point". He seems to be correct. 12 point font in word does not look like a 12 point font in a web browser. Would someone be so kind as to enlighten me on why this is?
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote