View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 06:23 PM   #18
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
The key with externals is to turn them off whenever possible. A regular harddrive inside your computer will usually spin down and power down automatically when your computer's ACPI power management kicks in. In most externals, the drive stays on the whole time which is incredibly damaging, not to mention how hot they get. The only way to prolong drive life (nomatter how long that might be) is not to use them.
Yeah. I was going to cheap out and buy some crappy ones from Futureshop but then i decided to spend an extra $40 and get the mybook from Western Digital. It turns off when your comp turns off.

I also had to do the hard drive freezer thingie except with mine it had my operating system on it. My wife was so pissed off. I didn't back up any of my photos from 2002-2006! hehe. She was getting ready to file for the divorce when i did the freezer thing. Put it in for about 8 hours and then i was holding the frozen harddrive, hitting it with a screwdriver until I could load into windows to do a back up of my pics. Dvd was at 98% when the whole thing starting smoking. Got most of my pics but lost everything else.

Man i wish USB drives were a common thing back then.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote