View Single Post
Old 08-15-2017, 09:53 AM   #35
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
At what point did I say it would be easy or that being healthy would be all it takes? Searching for happiness and contentment while having poor physical health is working up hill. Improving Physical health isn't hard and if someone is serious about turning things around, it is the best place to start.

No one can fix you but yourself, no one will understand you as well as you understand yourself, you can get yourself together better than anyone else can and then you'll always have that skill in your toolbox. By all means, look for help where you can get it, but at the end of the day it is always going to be on the individual to manage themselves. No pill will fix you, no doctor will fix you, it is up to you to find good sources and then make them work for you.

I've had to find my own way because every experience with a mental health professional was useless, it was an expensive hassle and all I got was obvious advice. I've found that focusing on physical health, self education and understanding to be vastly more fruitful.
Yeah, I think this is terrible, trite advice. While exercise undoubtedly helps most mental health conditions, "improving physical health" is tremendously difficult for most people let alone people suffering in depression or other mental states that affect one's motivation.

Seeking help in and of itself is the most important way out from my experiences. Make a decision that you will find someone who can help you. This requires both an acceptance of the problem and a willingness to share it with another. You also have to get past the idea that you can "do it yourself" or "it will just get better on its own, in time". This is why I think the advice from Mutata is absolutely terrible. Get the help.

I suffered from various major mental health problems for years, but when I realized I really needed help, I waited in Sheldon Chumir's emergency room until they set me up with the counselors upstairs. You speak to a counselor for three weeks in a row, and then you see a psychiatrist there. After the psychiatrist sees you they can set you up with further counselling or another psychiatrist, or whatever it is they think you need.

Also - pharmaceuticals really, really help with depression. People speak negatively of them a lot, but they really do work when needed if you have someone who will help you find the right ones. I tried many before I found my current treatment plan, but things have improved dramatically in my life since then.

Feel free to PM me Hockey-Ninja if you want to speak to someone who has definitely been there.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post: