View Single Post
Old 11-03-2010, 04:22 PM   #19
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.LOL View Post
For the past year (besides spring break up) I have been renting a room in a oilfield town, paying by the month. There was never any security deposit or contract signed. The landlord said he preferred cash and never offered a receipt. I never felt a receipt would be of any benefit to me so I never forced the issue.

Other people I work with have stayed there in the past and it's the same situation. The landlord has mentioned the renovations he has had to make to turn it into a legal rental property and also how he gives all the cash to someone 'who takes care of it all for him.' I suspect if I start requesting a receipt one day I will come home from work and find all my stuff missing.

I have strong suspicions that this shady character is not paying any tax on the money I give him. what would be the best thing to do to make sure he is not committing tax fraud?
The downside here seems to me that you basically have no protection if the guy tries to screw you over. You've been giving him cash, but can't prove it without receipts. If you come home one day and the locks have changed, what recourse do you have? There's no paper trail.

I'd be a little more worried about that, and a little less about Revenue Canada if I were in your shoes.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote